Tuesday 23 August 2011

Second part of first chemo session.




I had my blood test yesterday and had to go to the Hospital today for a review of the chemo side effects' and to find out if I will be able to continue with the second dose of the first chemotherapy session. The news was good. My bloods were OK and my liver function had improved. I didn’t know my liver function was compromised until today.

The chemotherapy drug Vinorelbine is metabolised through the liver so the function needs to be good to clear it out of my system when it has done its work.

I will take the chemo drug tomorrow and hope for the best.

Having no sickness, so far, is a huge bonus for me after months and months of continually being sick. I have to take a strong anti sickness pill half an hour before the chemo drug to stop my stomach rejecting it, so will start early in the morning.

I do feel tightness in my chest where I have the cancer and hope this means that 'something' is happening. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that my bloods continue to be fine so I can continue with the therapy. Side effects so far seem to be bearable, just a fuzzy head, a bit shaky, emotional and breathlessness; all of which I can manage, and they are not stopping me from carrying on with my life as normal. I try to get a walk each day and feel better for it.

We are off to Germany again in two weeks for another embolisation which, I hope, will further damage the tumours. This will probably be my last visit there unless something dramatic happened to improve things for me.



We have had a wonderful week and weekend. It was our 36th wedding anniversary and our children have been amazing. We were given a beautiful painted picture of Rob and I at our wedding, from Emily and Pete; a lovely lunch in Christopher and Amy’s garden, and a beautiful Italian Sunday meal with Stephen and Hannah in the Terracotta Restaurant, Cranbrook. Our grandson, Joseph, ate a huge plate of mussels and he is only four years old. He has mature taste buds, he loves garlic bread too.

The picture today is of Joseph concentrating on getting the mussels out using an empty shell. He was quite skillful, bless him.


1 comment:

Tess said...

Pleased your treatment can proceed tomorrow Ronny. Congratulations on your Anniversary - so pleased you were able to enjoy it with your family. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you too. Hugs. Tess x