Tuesday 10 August 2010

I Am Happier Now.

I am so much happier now after my visit to the Prof. in Frankfurt, he has put my mind at rest somewhat.

The Doctor, who got me to sign the treatment authority, told me to drink lots of fluid to flush my kidneys as the chemo fluid can do damage to them if left in the body too long.

I told Professor Vogl that it was painful last time and he gave the anaesthetic a little longer to work. He does the treatment with the aid of an Ultrasound scanner and the moment he puts the chemo-embolizing fluid in you see a sudden splat on the screen. I can't always see the screen, but the couple I have seen produced a small circle. This time though, the splat was ten times bigger and I could see the fluid going into small blood vessels around it. It was an amazing picture.

The procedure went well and I was sent to rest in the anti room outside the theatre; I assume because the ward was full. I didn't get offered anything to drink though, but this didn't worry me as I was determined NOT to have to ask for a bed pan, as I am not allowed to sit up for at least three hours after the treatment. Also the nurse only put about 200mls of fluid through the catheter instead of the usual litre plus. The nurse on the ward after previous treatments was quite fastidious about me having to have the whole lot. I made up for the lack of fluid by drinking lots of water for the rest of that day and the following day too.

After I was allowed up I saw the Prof. again. He said he was very pleased with the way it went as he had hit the spot this time. He would usually try to put the chemo-embolizing fluid where the tumour blood supply is, but it is impossible to get to the exact spot each time. This means that the chemo can do its work but the tumour blood cells don't quite die off, they just sleep. (This is what I think happens.) The Prof. says I will need three treatments and that they will embrace the lymph nodes too. This makes me happy.

I asked if the mesothelioma could stop reacting to the treatment, he says not usually but he has a large arsenal of poisons in the cupboard to attack it with if this happens.

Just what I wanted to hear.



My watercolour painting this time is of a couple of beached boats, done with a palette knife.

No comments: