Tuesday 4 January 2011

Reason for feeling so ill.

Well, it seems part of the reason for me feeling so bad is that my kidneys are deteriorating. I have a GFR count of 16, up from 14, (classed as stage 5 kidney failure) and normal is over 90, and creatinine levels of 293, normal is below 80.

It seems that each time I have a treatment it causes more damage. I have another blood test on Friday and hope it has gone up a bit more. It seems wise now not to take the January Frankfurt appointment; it could have been the death of me.

My nurse friend Clare suggested the initial blood test as I was so ill and she suspected the result. My GP should have picked up that my kidney function was falling rapidly, but didn’t. Not good.
I do feel a bit better, though still not right, but obviously needed the break from treatment.

I urge all Mesothelioma patients going for treatment to keep an eye on their GFR blood test.

Having said all that the treatment has been keeping the tumours from growing too much and would consider it again if other options fail. I would know what to look for in my blood tests now.

I have other Meso Friends getting treatment in Germany this month and wish them all well and good luck.



My Daughter Emily is in the final of Open Mic competition and has realised her ambition of singing at the O2, which is on 15th January. We will all be there to cheer her on.


Here is a picture of my wonderful husband Rob and me taken in May 2010.

5 comments:

Anita said...

I'm so glad to hear that you picked it up on time. What a good thing your nurse friend Clare had her finger on the pulse. Your doctor should have picked this up and I think Prof Vogel should have too. I hope he will now look out for other patients doing his treatment.

Will this affect you possibly having chemo at St. Barts?

Veronica White said...

It might Anita, certainly in the short term, but I need a break from treatment for a while. Hopefully what the Prof has done will put me in good stead for a few months.

Doug said...

Veronica,

I was listening to someone's story on twitter last month and they mentioned some sort of new treatment down south. I'm not sure if it's of any use and realise that you're taking a break - but the twitter ID was: @Ms_Meso

Let me know if you find anything helpful

regards


Doug

Doug said...

Veronica, (I don't think my last msg posted correctly) - but I mentioned that I was listening to someone on twitter last month who has a similar circumstance who is taking a new form of treatment down south.

It might be worth having a look? I know you're having a break but let me know if this is of any use...her twitter id was @Ms_Meso

Kind regards


Doug

Veronica White said...

Hi Doug, Thanks for writing. The twitter is owned by a fellow meso friend of mine.