Wednesday 17 August 2011

First day of chemotherapy.


After a short hiccup I have taken my first Vinorelbine chemotherapy capsule. I have been on a low dose steroid tablet for three weeks and was told to take omeprazole half an hour before the steroid to protect the stomach. Whilst on the chemo drug I have to take three steroid tablets over the course of the day. I duly took the omeprazole and steroid whilst waiting for Maidstone Hospital Oncology pharmacy to telephone me to say if my blood test yesterday was good enough to begin the chemo regime. Whilst waiting for the call I read the leaflet that came with the chemo drug only for it to say ‘don’t take omeprazole with it. I had to call the chemo 24hour helpline nurse to ask what I should do. This resulted in her having to call Oncology pharmacy, them to call in another chemo nurse and her to call the manufacturer. It seems know one knew. The Manufacturer said they thought it was a problem in the early days but have now excluded it so I would be okay to start the drug.

This was a relief as I had geared myself up to starting it today.
I had to take a strong ant sickness tablet, Ondansetron 8 mg, half an hour before the chemo drug and metocopramide anti sickness tablets for four days, then as and when required.


Two hours later and I feel fine and I am going ten pin bowling with a friend this afternoon. So, fingers crossed I don’t get nauseous.

The side effects can be blood deterioration, nausea, tingling hands and feet, bruising or bleeding, sore mouth, constipation or diarrhoea, anaemia, lowered resistance to infection, tiredness, some hair loss and exhaustion. Some people get no side effects others get a few and others get a lot. Fingers crossed I get as few as possible. At least I feel that I am doing something positive to help combat this mesothelioma.

3 comments:

Tess said...

Pleased that you have been able to start the chemo. I wish you well and hope your side effects are minimal. Take care my friend. Tess x

Anonymous said...

good luck
Lyn

Chemotherapy Treatments said...

Excellent post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the awesome work!