Sunday 7 August 2011

An outside chance in Germany

I had disappointing, but not totally unexpected, news from the Prof. He said he has only given me embolisation, without any chemo drugs because of my kidneys. He says he is willing to do one moretreatment, to make me more comfortable. He is not now talking about being able to ‘help’, only make me 'more comfortable'.



My oncologist has offered me Vinorelbine chemo therapy, as it will not damage my kidneys further, and I will know if it has had any effect in two months. But he thinks it will only give me a one digit chance of shrinking the tumours. My problem seems to be around the central heart area where it is aggressive and threatening the heart. I think I will give it a try and hope the emobolisation has weakened the tumour enough to give the drug a fair chance to work better.


I have contacted the Prof. since my return to the UK and asked him if he thinks another embolisation and me taking Vinorelbine would give me some positive benefit. He says yes, and vinorelbine is a good idea. He replies almost instantly, which is really good.

I realise this is now the end game, but whilst there is fight in me I won’t give up. My family are all behind me in this too.

I met up in Germany with Debbie Brewer and a new meso warrior called Richard. Debbie has been told her tumours have shrunk by 2 – 3 %. This is good news to hear and took the sting out of the tail for me.

Thank you all so much for your kind support; it makes me feel I have an army on my side! In all of this I have made some very good and kind friends.




Here is a picture of Alison, Richard, Debbie, Myself and my darling Rob taken at the station the day before our treatments.


3 comments:

Tess said...

Oh bless you Ronny. So disappointed for you but please keep on fighting. Please know you are a source of inspiration to myself and I am sure many others who are just starting out on this awful journey with meso. I am reading blogs everyday and your courage and others like you give me the strength to move forward. I pray that your next round of treatment will do more than make you comfortable. Stay strong. Tess x

amanda said...

lots of luck with the vibroleine, keeping fingers crossed for you
Amanda

Sandra Taylor said...

Good Luck Ronny and never ever give up.xoxoxoxo.