Tuesday 16 August 2011

Next phase, Vinorelbine chemotherapy.


I have seen my Oncologist today. The radiation blood test I had for the ADAM trial is better than I thought but not good enough for the trial. I was expecting this and was not surprised, and had decided any way, that the trial is just that, a trial and not yet proved. I therefore favoured the Vinorelbine chemotherapy course as, although only one digit chance, i.e. less than 10% that was better than no chance.

They were going to put me on the chemo drug today but decided that I had better have a proper blood count first as the chemo will effect my bloods. They wanted me to go back to hospital again tomorrow to pick up the medicines, but I persuaded them to let me have them today and they will telephone me tomorrow morning to give me the go ahead, or not. My blood count has been a bit low but should be alright, so I am not expecting a problem. Watch this space!

I have lately been getting more uncomfortable, particularly in my back so I was very keen to get started as soon as possible, so it everything is working out well.

I am going to feel pretty rough with the treatment, but I am now through month one of my four month prognoses so can’t wait to get started with the chemo.

I need to take one capsule tomorrow, then one on day eight, then a week’s break. The cycle is three weeks and my Oncologist is talking about 4 – 6 cycles if it is working. He will x-ray and monitor me and then give a CT scan after two or three cycles. I will be keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome. At least I am still fighting and feeling positive for now.

My amazing MacMillan nurse is going to ask my Surgeon Karen Harrison-Phipps about the possibility of more de-bulking surgery. I asked, when Karen operated on me in 2008 what the possibility of more surgery was and she said’ Never say never’ so I thought it was worth asking the question. It is not usual in this country to do more surgery but they do in the USA, with some positive results too.

It is our 36th wedding anniversary today and we are going out for a nice meal this evening. Let’s hope I am still around for our 37th. I will jolly well do my best to be, prognosis or not.

I have been thinking and worrying about my fellow Meso warriors who are also going through this dreadful experience. I wish them all luck and good results.

Thank you all so much for your best wishes and positive comments; they are so welcome for us all. I really do have an army of supporters around me!

1 comment:

Tess said...

Good luck with the chemo Ronny - hope you get the go ahead tomorrow. Happy Anniversary to you & OH hope the meal was good. Fight on my friend. Tess x