Monday 14 March 2011

What a roller coaster fortnight.


What a roller coaster this last two weeks have been. I had terrible centre chest pains and was taken into hospital by ambulance. They thought it may have been a heart attack. Although I was showing markers in my blood for this the ECG was not so definite. I was in hospital for five days while they tried to stop the pain and control the sickness that came with it. They decided it might be the mesothelioma, or furred up arteries and sent me home with blood pressure pills, beta blockers and statins for cholesterol.

I still felt really bad over the weekend and had a repeat of the chest pain again on the Monday. I was advised to go back into hospital and was there for four more days. They are not really sure what it was all about and seem to have come down to blaming the mesothelioma.

At least the chest pain has now stopped.

With the chest pain was a serious pain down my jaw and neck, this seems to flummox them and they don’t know what it is. I get this pain on getting up from a laying position and I am to see my GP about it later today.

I was told in December and again on 25th February that my mesothelioma was stable so I don’t know what to think, it is worrying.

I do feel a bit better but my chest is quite uncomfortable, so maybe the Doc’s are right.

I tried a new anti-sickness drug but it made me swell up and I felt as if I had a straight jacket on that was suppressing my breathing. These symptoms went in a couple of days of stopping these tablets. I did ask the hospital doctors if this reaction was from the anti sickness, but they said no. I now know otherwise.

I am just so sensitive to medicines and seem to get many side effects from them. Even the morphine they initially gave for pain made me hallucinate.

I am not sure what to do, I don’t see the oncology people for about six weeks and if the mesothelioma is indeed rearing up again I need to do something, or have something done. Unfortunately my kidney failure means chemo is out of the question until they improve, which they are trying to do.

At least my sickness is under control at the moment, after going back on my original tablets that had stopped working but are now working again.

I would like to say a big thank you to the wonderful nurses on the CCU and Culpepper wards who were very sympathetic and caring; they made a worrying hospital stay bearable. In fact all the staff at the Maidstone hospital couldn’t have been kinder, I was most impressed.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Hi Ronny, I’m am pleased to hear that you are not having chest pains any more but I know how frustrating it is not to know what it is that’s causing all your pain.

I believe I had something very similar to what you had a bit over a year a go. Chest pains shooting up into my head and jaws. It think at the time it was put down to torn scar tissue from where I had my surgery. Tests at the time showed no change in my meso. I don’t know if that is what really caused it and I can’t remember if you have had surgery in your chest either. but I just thought I’d mention it.

I’m sure the sensitivity to all the meds is not helpful at all. Sometimes I think we know a lot more than doctors when it comes to side effects. My oncologist who is very knowledgeable in all things relating cancer is totally clueless when I ask him if something I am experience could be due to the meds.

Anyway I hope you get some answers very soon.

Big hugs to you xoxoxo
Anita.