Friday 23 October 2009

History, my first blog

I am going through that horrible stage of cancer when you know it is going to kill you but you want to do anything to delay the inevitable. I have Mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos. There is no cure and no way of avoiding death.


I have had a pleurectomy done by Karen Harrison-Phipps, my surgeon at Guys Hospital in London. What an amazing lady she is.


I have had main line chemotherapy, Cisplatin and Pemetrexed. This halted the growth for a few months.

I have been on a drug trial for Sorafenib which made most of my hair fall out but unfortunately didn't work for me..

Now I am undergoing Chemoembolization with Prof. Dr. Thomas Vogl in Frankfurt who says he can help me. This is not a cure but may delay growth or even shrink the tumours for a while.

I am interested in anything anyone can tell me about the disease that may help me.

I did the Cancer Research Run for Life in May and raised an amazing £4500.00 with my team of six friends who were great. I would like to still be fit enough next May to do the race again. I say race, but I didn't run but walked the whole course. The whole team crossed the line together. An amazing experience.

No comments: