Monday 26 October 2009

Chemoembolization

Hello again.
Chemoembolization is a procedure where they put a tube into the femoral artery in the groin and feed it up to the vein feeding a part of the cancer. They then squirt into the vein a mix of a type of plastic mixed with chemotherapy drugs. This temporarily blocks the blood supply to that part of the cancer and starves it of oxygen, then the chemo drug gets to work to damage the cancer further.
This is done once to each part of the cancer hopefully getting to most of it. Then it is 'wait and see' to find out if the cancer becomes stable or even shrinks for a while.
This will give me a bit more time and increase the chance of still being here if they eventually find a cure. This treatment, funds permitting, can be repeated when the cancer starts to grow again.
Prof. Dr. Thomas Vogl has been doing this treatment for lung cancer in a trial for 3 years so far, the trial has another 2 years to go. Of the 500 or so patients he is treating about 22 have mesothelioma, and of these about 70% have responded well with either static disease or
shrinkage.
I will take my chances with odds like this. At least this treatment gives me some hope, where there is none with conventional treatment.

I found out about Prof. Dr. Thomas Vogl through searching Google and coming across Debbie Brewer, who has successfully had this treatment. What an inspiration she is to like sufferers, she fights and is very vocal in helping the cause. She also runs a blog, have a look, it is on this link
http://www.mymeso.org/tags/debbie-brewer/

We offer Chemoembolization in this country for kidney or liver cancer but not for mesothelioma. I don't know why, as this treatment seems to have a good success rate, certainly better than the current UK treatment on offer. There was a petition sent to the government and their response was useless, see it on this link
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20326 .
This country considers mesothelioma as an old persons disease so doesn't warrant it high enough for putting money into it.
If you want to know more here is a question and answer session from Prof Dr. Vogl
http://www.mesotheliomacom-news.com/asbestos/mesotheliomanews/535-aq26awithdrvoglaboutmeso.html

Mesothelioma is caused by asbestos contact, which has been known to cause problems for over a 100 years, but still they condoned its use, in fact encouraged it in the 40's - 70's.

I can't really complain as I have had quite a good life. I am married with three wonderful children who are all so supporting of everything I am trying to do. They also all offered to re-mortgage or give me funds to help pay for the treatment. My sister and her son have also offered to help; what a great family I have. I also have a lot of support from my friends who have all been great, it is a big comfort knowing that others care.

I have had some pain in the area of my lung that had the first treatment, this is hopefully a good thing and shows that the procedure is having some effect, or it could just be my imagination!.

I will know on my next visit, finger crossed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you a citizen of the USA, UK, or??

Mesothelioma Blog said...

Hi, I am British and we have a big problem here with asbestos as Amosite was used extensively in the 40's to 70's.