Saturday 24 October 2009

Christmas Fair

Thank you for the positive remarks about my blog. Today has been good, I went swimming with friends but forgot my swimsuit (chemo brain) so we just sat and had coffee and chatter, very enjoyable. Trouble is I didn't as feel as virtuous as I would have had we swum. Still I have packed my costume now for next week!

We went to the WI Christmas craft fair and spent some money on one or two nice things, plus some Christmas cards from our local charity 'Gamble', who have built and finance a school in the Gambia. Do look at their web site, they are a charity that spends every penny raised on the school.

http://www.gam-ble.co.uk/..
l also I won a raffle prize, yet to be delivered as we had left by then. It is some sort of shower gel or something... We walked there at a brisk pace to get maximum exercise given the swimming fiasco and the fact that I wouldn't have time for a long walk today.

Spent the afternoon in Maidstone with my lovely daughter Emily and did a bit of retail therapy and stopped for coffee and more chatter; very nice.

I had a phone call from my 2nd cousin Chris Lewis; what a lovely young man he is. I haven't spoken to him for about ten years but it was as if we had only spoken last week. I always had a soft spot for him.

We have spent some time working out the best way to buy Euros as we have to pay ourselves for the treatment in Germany. It is amazing how the rate varies according to whom you speak to. We have found a couple of good online suppliers who give near on commercial rates and this will save quite a bit over the course of treatments.

We go back to Frankfurt on the 15th November for treatment on the 16th, the air fares and the Hotel are already booked. The trouble with Frankfurt is that they have huge exhibition centres and people come from all over the world to them. This means that on exhibition weeks the hotels hike their prices by 300%+ and it gets difficult to find somewhere near to the hospital cheap enough.
The Professor and the staff at the hospital are all very sweet and make me feel comfortable. The hotel we stay at is on the other side of the Maine River and is a twenty-minute walk away; very handy.

We got the train last time to come home from Frankfurt main station but got on the wrong one for the airport. The people on the train were very kind and put us right. One charming lady even accompanied us back to the train station and took us to the correct platform. How nice and friendly the people are in Frankfurt and they all seemed to speak English too.

No comments: