Tuesday 17 November 2009

Results of first treatment

We arrived on Sunday night for the Monday treatment and found an Ethiopian restaurant called Gojo, I think, and we had to eat the food with our hands. This was quite a surprise. We had a sort of pancake, which we broke up into pieces and scooped up some meat mix. We couldn't use the pancake as a wrap as it was too fragile. The food tasted good but I think I prefer to use utensils. No, they were not having us on, they all ate that way!

Well, it is good news, The area of my cancer that was treated last time in Germany has improved by 5 - 10%. The Prof. was reluctant to put a figure on it but it is nice for me to have some idea of the amount of improvement. It hadn't shrunk but has less pressure, which means it is less aggressive. He says he treats the biology of the tumour. This is a relief, as the treatment could have had no effect. The Prof. seemed quite pleased.

I go again on the 4th January, 7 weeks away. I thought this a long time but the Prof. says it is OK. I had a rougher time of it this time as I had an adverse effect from the tracer they inject so the Prof. can see what he is doing. I went very hot all over, burning almost, and felt violently sick. I managed to hold on until he finished. The treatment takes about 5 minutes. Then I was quite sick for about half an hour until they gave me some extra strong anti-sickness on top of what they put into the treatment. I slept for the next four hours and felt better after that.

Today I was fine for the trip home and still feel OK. I will have to keep away from anyone who is ill for a couple of weeks while my bloods improve again after the chemo.

Apparently I was to have had my blood tested here in the UK before my second treatment but the instruction was all in German so I couldn't read them. Whoops, I know now. The Prof. still went ahead though. I now need to translate the paperwork so I know exactly what he wants for next time. Can anyone read German?

I managed to get my flu injection before I went but will have to wait until the end of December for the swine flu jab as they don't work with the chemo.
But Rob is having one Saturday so he doesn't catch it and give it to me as my lungs are compromised and it could be very serious if I got it.

Today's picture was taken on our holiday in Majorca, my hair was still quite thin but it doesn't show in this photo as it had started to grow very curly due to the last trial drug I was on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunty Ronny, Excellent news, am so pleased, you are being so truly brave.my next door neighbour is German, he can translate for you if you could e-mail me....

lots and lots of love,kisses and cuddles

xxxxx